Beyond the beautiful beaches, close to perfect weather and mouth watering Mexican cuisine that defines San Diego’s reputation, this vibrant destination is enriched with a wealth of history and interesting facts that may surprise you. Let’s put your knowledge to the test with these 15 fun and historical facts.
1. San Diego is home to the largest oceanographic museum in the USA, the Birch Aquarium at Scripps. The largest habitat is a 70,000-U.S.-gallon kelp forest tank.
2. The Geisel Library at the University of California, San Diego safeguards the world’s largest collection of Dr. Seuss manuscripts and materials.
3. Balboa Park is almost twice the size of New York City’s Central Park!
4. Then Governor Ronald Reagan was the first person to officially cross the San Diego-Coronado Bridge when it was completed in 1969.
5. In 1974, Mission Bay set the stage for the world’s first modern triathlon, an event that has since become a global sporting phenomenon.
6. The Whaley House Museum, named the country’s most haunted house by the Travel Channel, adds an eerie dimension to San Diego’s historical tapestry.
7. San Diego County has the most small farms of any US county and produces the most avocados. Holy Guacamole!
8. The famous California Burrito, stuffed with carne asada and fries, originated in San Diego along with taquitos, aka rolled tacos, were invented at El Indio restaurant near Mission Hills.
9. The first drive-in restaurant in the United States was opened in San Diego by the man who later founded Jack in the Box in 1951.
10. San Diego has the most ideal climate with temperatures averaging 70 all year long.
11. San Diego proudly holds the title of the birthplace of naval aviation, an honor that speaks volumes of its maritime heritage.
12. Step into Old Town, often referred to as the “birthplace of California,” and be transported to the early 19th century through its immersive living museum.
15. Housing more than 3,700 animals from 650 different species, the San Diego Zoo is one of the largest zoological parks in the world.
How well did you do? Dive even deeper into the captivating history of San Diego. The Good Life San Diego Country Estates is delighted to be your gateway to this incredible city, where every corner holds a story waiting to be discovered.